Since the public test of deepin 15 Alpha 2, we have received many issues caused by incompatible hardwares such as graphics card, network card, power management and printer.
This made us realize that changing our system build repository from Ubuntu to Debian sid (using official Debian kernel) will cause big problem for hardware compatibility. Meanwhile, we realized the importance of maintaining an independent kernel. Because, by integrating massive community patches into official Ubuntu kernel, it has made quite some improvements in hardware compatibility.
As a result, after serious consideration, we decided to maintain our own kernel.
Short Term Goal
Our short term goal is aimed in building kernel compatibility, stability and management system. We hope our work can provide direct tests and management, so as to analyze its progress and trend.
- Specialized optimization aimed in Deepin Desktop Environment
- Integrate existing kernel patches from major distributions
- Follow CVE announcements, fix kernel security issues in real-time
- Keep the major version of kernel in line with Debian official version
- Runnable environment retaining & source code association, automatic issue location in specified versions
- Establish automatic test of function/stability/pressure/safety/performance, quantify the kernel quality
- Establish a kernel management system of persistent integration & releasing
Mid-long Term Goal
Out mid-long term goal is aimed in expanding the depth and extent of kernel development. Emphasized on feeding back to upstream and optimizing desktop ecology, hoping to provide fine support to mainstream hardwares in the market, and to state a clear schedule to support new hardwares.
- Participate in the development of upstream kernel patches
- Participate in the development of upstream kernel testing tools
- Continuously integrate official Debian kernel
- From bottom to top, continuously optimize desktop environment framework and applications by new kernel features
- Establish driver database, follow the supporting status of new hardwares
- Add more types of hardware to test, increase the scale of cluster test
- Recruit more kernel developers
Current Status and Prospects
In recent years, Linux kernel is booming, most top IT enterprises in the world have participated in the development of Linux kernel. Number of participants and codes submitted are making records. Though we joined this team a little late, we will be humble and open to learn and improve, and try our best to contribute more!
We sincerely invite you, who has unquenchable enthusiasm for Linux kernel, new technology, problems and challenges to join us. Together we will contribute more to Linux kernel and open source!