Deepin is an open source GNU/Linux operating system, based on Linux kernel and desktop applications, supporting laptops, desktops and all-in-ones. deepin preinstalls Deepin Desktop Environment (DDE) and nearly 30 deepin native applications, as well as several applications from the open source community to meet users’ daily learning and work needs. In addition, about a thousand of applications are offered in Deepin Store to meet your more needs. deepin, developed by a professional operating system R&D team and deepin technical community (www.deepin.org), is from the name of deepin technical community - “deepin”, which means deep pursuit and exploration of the life and the future.
Compared with deepin 15.7, the ISO size of deepin 15.8 has been reduced by 200MB. The new release is featured with newly designed control center, dock tray and boot theme, as well as improved deepin native applications, hoping to bring users a more beautiful and efficient experience.
Dock - Fashion or Efficient, Choose as You Like
In fashion mode, a hide/show button is added in the new designed dock tray. Click it to hide the icons in tray area and save the dock space. And, the power button is separated from the tray area to reduce the clicks and avoid the function confusion.
In efficient mode, the right corner is set to show desktop, and the previous “Show Desktop” icon is removed to meet user habits.
Control Center - New Page Layout, Brief but Not Simple
In the new control center, the weather page, system widgets and bottom tools are removed and the layout is redesigned to improve the efficiency. What's more, the new control center is adaptive to different resolutions and languages.
Besides above, the transparency setting is added in Personalization module for adjusting the transparency of control center, dock and launcher mini mode to beautify deepin desktop.
The “Auto Brightness” function is added in Display module (supports device with light sensor), so that the screen brightness changes automatically according to the ambient light and protects your eyesight.
Boot Menu - New Grub Theme, Beautiful and Delightful
The new splendid theme is added to deepin 15.8 boot menu, bringing users a wonderful experience from deepin starts. More themes will be released in subsequent system updates, please have a wait.
Dark Theme - Unified Interface Style, Cool and Gorgeous
The dark icon theme is added to match with the dark theme of Deepin File Manager, making your window cool and elegant.
Deepin Installer - Full Disk Encryption, Safe and Secure
The new "Full Disk Encryption" function is added in deepin 15.8 ISO installation to offer another anti-theft measures along with the user password, thus to ensure data safe and secure on the hard disk.
Deepin File Manager - Improved Performance, Powerful Functions
Deepin File Manager is improved with new “Recent” function which supports quickly find the recently used files and can be hidden in Settings.
* Added "Open with" option in folder context menu;
* Added: double-click the split line between the two columns in list view to automatically adjust the column width;
* Improved the recognition of Office document formats;
* Supported new file template of KDE and GNOME style;
* Improved the support for HiDPI;
* Fixed the crash in some conditions;
* Fixed the stuck when accessing mobile devices;
* Fixed the issue that the file name was blank when renaming the .desktop file (shortcut) from the properties dialog;
* Re-supported the mounting of the network location in mount plugin on tray;
* Fixed the crash in some cases when previewing the image;
* Fixed the incorrect number and size of files shown in status bar in some cases;
* Fixed the pop-up dialog box when copying files in the trash;
* Fixed the issue that the keyboard can't be used to select files in some cases.
Bug Fixes and Improved Functions
deepin 15.8 is improved from both the back-end architecture and the front-end applications, by fixing known bugs, optimizing the efficiency, and adding new features to offer users a stable and smooth operating experience. The following is a part of bug fixes and optimization record:
* Optimized background drawing;
* Optimized dual screen display;
* Optimized the login process;
* Optimized the notification animation;
* Fixed the error message when switching to multi-user while verifying the password;
* Fixed user login failure;
* Fixed the setting failure of user's keyboard layout;
* Added the verification dialog for network password.
* Fixed the identification error of connected network;
* Fixed the high CPU usage of network when hotspot was enabled;
* Fixed the issue that the network connecting animation did not disappear correctly;
* Supported dragging and dropping any desktop file to the dock;
* Recognized whether the preview window can be closed or not;
* Supported transparency settings (set in Control Center);
* Supported the new dock protocol (SNI);
* Added “Show Desktop” button in efficient mode;
* Redesigned the tray area in fashion mode;
* Removed hot corner presets which can be customized by users.
Deepin Image Viewer:
* Removed the picture management function;
* Fixed the distortion of high resolution pictures when zoom out.
Deepin Graphics Driver Manager:
* Fixed the identification error of Bumblebee solution;
* Fixed the interface scaling problem on HiDPI screen;
* Used glvnd series of drivers for PRIME solution;
* Optimized error handling.
Known but Unfixed Bugs
* Deepin Recovery cannot be used after installing on an encrypted partition.
* The black screen appears before reboot after the installation was completed and USB flash driver was removed.
* The app icon is shown incompletely when dragging it in Launcher after turning off the window effect and setting the display scaling.
* The window disappears occasionally when maximizing/restoring the maximized window.
* The cursor does not change when moving it to the split line between two columns in list view of Deepin File Manager (low probability).
Internal Test Conclusion
Prior to deepin official release, usually an internal test is implemented by a small number of community users, then we record their feedbacks and fix the bugs. Before this release, we test deepin 15.8 both from system upgrade and ISO installation.
Thanks to the members of internal testing team. Their contributions are highly appreciated!
deepin is an open source Linux system developed for common users. You are free to download, distribute, modify and use it.
GitHub address is: https://github.com/linuxdeepin
Welcome to follow us on Weibo, Wechat, Twitter and Facebook to acquire the latest updates in the first time, and join our forum to communicate and share your joy with community members.
We are grateful to the community teams and companies that have provided support on deepin testing, documentation, translation and mirror. With your selfless contribution, open source world is getting better and better! Thanks also to the users who have been supporting, understanding and waiting for us, you give us the motivation to keep moving forward, and the courage to improve deepin constantly.